Hold up. I did a thing.
Who doesn’t love grilled cheese? It’s such a versatile sandwich. The options are literally endless. The type of bread, the type of cheese, the add-ins! Sweet or savory… I’m going to be playing around with all the different ideas I’ve gotten floating in my foodie head.
This one stars a unexpected ingredient. Introducing Avocado Honey from The Honey Blossom! This company specializes in gourmet honey, and other bee products, like beeswax candles! Based in Texas, US, but all the products are straight from rural farms of Mexico. Their honey is all-natural, from the bees themselves. I gotta say, this company is the bees knees! Not to mention they have a points rewards system, so every purchase gets you closer to a free product of choice! I’m personally a sucker for reward systems, so I was sold!
About the Avocado Honey. To be honest, it is an acquired taste. The first taste is pleasantly surprising. It’s not nearly as sweet as traditional honey, and it definitely has a “raw” flavor profile. It’s bold and strong in flavor, similar to molasses. Rather than drizzling on fruit or yogurt, it pairs best with other savory foods, such as a hard cheese, so when I was brainstorming recipes, I knew it had to be savory. And grilled cheese is one of my favorite savory meals. Adding bacon was a no-brainer!
It’s also rich in minerals and antioxidants, so its healthy! For those on a keto or paleo diet, its also low on the glycemic index, unlike other honeys.
Don’t just take my word for it; try it for yourself!
Only 4 ingredients are needed: the honey, bread, bacon and cheddar cheese. For this recipe, I opted for a nuts & seeds bread, but nearly any sandwich bread would work. I recommend using an extra sharp white cheddar, as that flavor works best with the honey. And after you cook the bacon, make sure to reserve some grease! The bacon grease is necessary to get that crisp toastyness. I mean, look at that!
Now enough chit chat. Make this ASAP!
- 2 slices sandwich bread of choice (rye, nuts & seeda, or panini bread is recommended)
- 2 tbsp The Honey Blossom's Avocado Honey
- 5 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 pieces thick cut bacon
- In a small frying pan, cook bacon as desired. Spread the honey on the slices of bread, as desired
- When bacon is cooked, remove and dran grease, leaving one tbsp in the pan. Reduce heat to low and add one slice of bread. Layerwith cheese and bacon. Add the second slice of bread on top. Flip when the cheese stars to melt.
- When the second slice of bread is toasted, remove from pan and drizzle with more honey if desired. Enjoy!
By The Cakeasaurus | @ᴛʜᴇ_ᴄᴀᴋᴇᴀsᴀᴜʀᴜs | 07/06/2020