One of the best natural remedies for shortening the duration of a cold is Honey. It contains several enzymes and nutrients which several scientific studies suggest may help fight microbes, fungi and bacteria which result in colds. Honey relieves individuals of scratchiness in their throats as well, thereby making it the best head cold medicine.
Colds happen every year
Every year, during the same or different periods, people tend to catch colds. In reality, getting colds help to develop the body’s immune system. A cold is the manifestation of a certain damage to a human being’s upper respiratory tract, which includes the throat and nose. Though not harmful, symptoms such as cough, sore throats, runny noses, and sneezing can leave people affected feeling miserable for a few days. Mild fever may be caused by this situation as well.
By itself, some scientific studies show the possibility that Honey may perhaps possess various antimicrobial and antioxidant properties to fight against these ailments. It also helps to boost the body’s immunity system, but the sticky fluid also works well in combination with other food items such as:
- Cinnamon- Mix honey with freshly ground cinnamon and consume it for three days to cure sinus congestion, a cold or a chronic cough. However, some people may be allergic to cinnamon and should remember the same before consumption. This can be boiled and made into a tea as well.
- Raw onions-Honey needs to be boiled with raw onions and the mixture can be used as a cough syrup
- Ginger and lemon- It is a good idea to consume piping hot honey lemon ginger tea to get relief from a sore throat. The steam, aided by lemon and ginger, actively works towards opening up sinuses. Both ginger and lemon help to improve the throat’s condition. If your cold is bad, put the tea into a thermos and keep sipping on it.
- Cold water- The mixture of honey and cold water helps in prevention and cure of various gastric ailments such as gastritis, ulcers, and gastroenteritis. Honey is believed to stimulate the nerves of the stomach to reduce ulcers.The mixture can also be applied to minor burns and wounds, being anti-inflammatory.
- Whisky- Dry coughs can be eliminated using mixtures made from whisky and honey. Combined a lemon, honey and a dash of whisky help get rid of mucous and clear sinus problems.
- Grape juice- Mixing equal amounts of honey and grape juice reduce phlegm or sputum
- Ayurvedic kadha- Boiled water with ground tulsi leaves, half a teaspoon of ginger, half a teaspoon of black pepper, and honey works well to strengthen immunity
Remember that honey helps by providing relief from cold, but it does not cure the ailment.
Highly suitable for children
As a parent, it is a good idea for you to give ½ teaspoon of honey to your child before sleep, as it relieves them of cough during sleep. However, you must remember to never give it to a child who is less than 1 year old as it may contain botulism bacteria spores, which are easily dealt with by regular adult and child immune systems above 1 year of age.
Other ways to get relief from a head cold
- Let salt water into your sinuses- One of the ways to get saline water into your sinus is to use a syringe. This will help to clear mucous and other irritants such as dust, bacteria, and pollen. Always remember to use previously boiled or sterile water for this purpose.
- Drink a lot of fluids- Sipping on liquids such as soups help to thin the mucous and allow nasal drainage. Tea, warm water and warm milk would be most helpful here.
- Use humidifiers- Breathe using a cool mist humidifier or a steam vaporizes, to soothe the membranes that line the nasal passages
Winter is the best time to consume honey
Majority if people suffer from colds during the winter and consumption of honey gives your body all the necessary antioxidants and the essential vitamins that it needs to stay well in this time. Doctors generally advise people to abstain from eating junk foods outside since our bodies are capable of fighting bacteria in a limited way in winter. The steady flow of antioxidants is very important, and honey helps to do the same.
There are many cities of the world which experience sudden changes of season several times in a year. For the children living in these cities, the consumption of honey when they feel the slightest chances of cough is recommended.
In 2012, BBC News reported that along with the over-the-counter medicines, honey should be the first line of treatment for people affected by coughs. Antibiotics are not suitable for this purpose since they hardly help to alleviate symptoms. The virus strains which cause coughs cannot be treated by antibiotics and clear up on their own, as per this report. However, if the cough is part of a far serious underlying illness, then the recommended antibiotic must be consumed.